Sunday, April 21, 2013

Awesome Anticipation


Today, for the first time, the Columbia cohort came together for a delicious potluck. It was a beautiful day to be outside and the park was buzzing with activity. There were at least five birthday parties and hoards of small children were out enjoying the wonderful weather. Fortunately Ms. L arrived early and was able to save a spot in the shade with a great outlook of the rest of the park.

While waiting for others to arrive, the group conversed casually about life at school and everyone expressed their excitement for the summer ahead. At this point in time, I’m trying to avoid thinking too much about summer because I become too excited!

Once everyone arrived at the potluck, we began to eat. There was a fantastic variety of food and every dish was delicious. We each formally introduced ourselves and Ms. L spoke to us about her expectations. I soon learned that Ms. L is an experienced chaperone with fair, clear, and strict regulations for us. I believe that she will be an excellent leader and help us optimize both the amount of fun we have and the amount of learning we get done in New York. As my dad put it, “she’s on the ball.” I am truly grateful to have her as my chaperone.
I have a feeling that over the summer many more pictures like this will be taken!
Ms. L outlined a rough schedule of our daily lives during the program. She told us about our busy first week where we will tour several schools, go out to fancy dinners, and explore as much of New York as possible. I realize that this will be thoroughly exhausting, but it I know I will value every minute of it. She then told us about what to expect on a daily basis when we are at Columbia. She expects that will spend a lot of time in the library, which I find really exciting because I love college libraries. Every time I enter one I feel as surrounded by productivity and gain feeling of motivation that I didn’t have before I arrived.

We also gained a better understanding of our living situation at Columbia. The girls are in suites with either a double or a single room. The boys do not have a suite style living situation, but can also either have a double or a single room. I really hope to have a roommate. I want my experience at Columbia to be as much like college life as possible. Living with a roommate is something that has always really intrigued me and I hope to have the opportunity this summer.

I left the potluck today with a much better understanding of what to expect this summer and a better idea of whom I would be spending the summer with. As I am typing this blog, my mind is racing with excitement. I can’t wait to immerse myself in the vibrant culture of New York City and the rigorous academics at Columbia.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you all had a pretty good time today. These informal get-togethers can be a valuable tool where you all get a better feel about each other. At the same time, your parents also get a chance to meet everyone and get to know your chaperone. Before entrusting their sweet little children to a stranger, they need to know that the chaperone is someone they can trust.

    With Ms. L as your chaperone, you have the best.

    ReplyDelete