Saturday, April 13, 2013

First Preparations!


This afternoon eight ILCers met in the computer room at Hercules High to attend a blogging tutorial where we learned about not only blogging format, but also more about the what to bring to the East Coast and what is expected of us when we arrive. I must admit, having attended the Women and Leadership program at Brown University last year, I was unsure if I would learn anything new. I left the tutorial, however, with much new information and renewed excitement for the summer ahead.

Once we arrived at Hercules High, Don gave each of us a packet overviewing everything he would talk about during the tutorial. I’m sure this packet will come in handy later on in case I forget anything I learned today.

First, Don went over the basic formatting used when posting a blog. Thankfully, I remembered most of the formatting guidelines so, even though I was unable to practice blogging at the tutorial because of unavoidable technical problems, I am confident that I know how to correctly format a blog.

Don next spoke to us about adding photos to the blogs. I found his advice on photo editing very helpful. Before today, I never really understood how to use Photoshop. Now I feel like I have a better understanding of the application. Hopefully soon I’ll have the time to explore Photoshop more thoroughly and gain a better understanding of how to effectively edit a picture.

After each of us gained a thorough understanding of what was expected of our blogs, Don spoke to us about loaner items. While Don was discussing each item, I was reminded about what an amazing program Ivy League Connections is. The leaders of The Ivy League Connection invest so much of their own time and money in order to make the program a success. Don makes sure that every student is prepared for the summer by offering to loan each student in the program materials they need to succeed. Much of his own time and money is spent obtaining these items and then delivering them to the houses of dozens of ILCers. I feel so lucky to be part of a program where the people in charge truly care about the success of the students. 

The blogging tutorial today marked the beginning of major preparations for the summer. I’m so honored to be a part of Ivy League Connections and I cannot wait for summer to begin. 

1 comment:

  1. You’re too kind, Emily. Since we’re throwing compliments around, let me go on record as telling everyone what a joy it is to have you and people like you as a part of the ILC.

    ReplyDelete