Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Glimpse at Ten of New Yorks Finest



A few weeks ago, our amazing chaperone, Ms. L, gave us all the task of creating a list of our top ten  locations we might want to visit in New York. At first, I thought this would be an easy task. I had always seen many of the iconic landmarks in movies or books, so I figured there would be no difficulty in just choosing only ten locations. However, after doing further research, I realized my first assumption was completely wrong. New York City is a melting pot of the arts, culture and architecture, with so many locations to visit that a person could be there a year and not visit them all. However, after days of deliberation and thought, I was finally able to compile a list of ten locations I would love to visit. Here they are (in no specific order):

A skyline view of New York City
 



The radiance of the Times Square lights
1.)  Times Square is one of the most iconic and unique locations in all New York. Lined with countless shopping stores, theaters, music clubs and restaurants, Times Square is a large touristic hotspot. Simply witnessing the grandiose sight of the billboards and brightly gleaming jumbotrons is a spectacle alone.   With a  location that is constantly lively, both during the day and at night,  the hustle and bustle of tourists is never missed. It is on my top ten list because every year I tune in on New Years Eve to watch the ball drop, marking the new year. I have seen numerous photos of Times Square and have watched countless movies that display the beauty and elegancy of it. However, absolutely nothing would beat seeing first-hand this modern marvel.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art
 

2.) Next on the list is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The largest in the U.S, the museum is home to over two million pieces of artwork as well as many sculptures. Even the building itself is an architectural wonder, combining elements from many different eras. While I myself am not an artist in anyway, I do very much enjoy looking at artwork. When I was younger, I was taken to various art museums in the Bay Area and saw many beautiful artworks that caused me to love art. The Met is far more diverse and has  many more pieces of artwork than any museum we have here in the bay area. I would love the opportunity to broaden my artistic horizon.
 


The glory of the Statue of Liberty

3.) Thirdly is the Statue of Liberty. Another iconic symbol unique to New York, the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of the principles of which our great country was built upon, pride and liberty. Like Times Square, no trip to New York can be complete without at least a glimpse of this American wonder. As a big admirer of architecture, I feel that the Statue of Liberty is an architectural masterpiece. I have always viewed pictures and videos of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, but seeing it up close would be a dream come true. My biggest hope would be to climb to the top and get an elevated view of the New York skyline, a spectacle of true beauty. 
 
Amazing view of the Empire State Building
4.) Fourth on the list is the Empire State Building. This is yet another unique building that makes New York unlike any other city in the entire world. Standing at close to 1,453 feet tall, including the pinnacle, and with 102- floors, the Empire State Building is another great place to get a view of the New York Skyline. There are two observation decks that offer a great view of the city on the 86th floor and 102nd floor. I really would want to visit this landmark because it is another great architectural wonder that I have always seen in movies and news broadcasts.
 
 

 5.) Next on the list is the a pretty obvious one, Central Park. Able to be described as a green haven in a huge modernized city, Central Park is an escape from the stress of the outside world. One of the most unique landmarks in New York, Central park offers peace and tranquility in a city known for its fast-paced lifestyle. Ever since I first saw the park in a travel magazine while on a road trip; I have always wanted to see it with my own eyes. In all honesty who would not want to take the time and bask.

A beautiful view of Central Park
 
6.) Through a more serious note, I would love to go and see the 9/11 Memorial. Built in remembrance one of America's biggest tragedies, the memorial is an amazing  sight to witness. I have read countless articles and seen dozens of documentaries of what exactly happened that day, but I was still to young at the time to understand the great significance of the event. The attacks have greatly impacted my life today and the repercussions have changed the America I grow up in. I really want to visit the memorial in order to see where it all happened and to somewhat get a sense of the sorrow that was felt during that time.

7.) The Rockefeller Center is a place where architectural ingenuity meets artistic creativity. Covering an area of around 22 acres, the center is considered to be an architectural turning point in history. I have always wanted to see some of the grand sculptures that lie around the center including the statue of Atlas, sculpted by Lee Lawrie, and the statue Prometheus, sculpted by Paul Manship. Also it would be an incredible experience to take a stroll through the roof garden of Rockefeller Center. The skyline of New York can also be seen from the observation level in the General Electric building on the 70th floor which gives visitors a completely astonishing 360-degree view. Who wouldn't want to get a glimpse of the amazing beauty and ingenuity that is New York City?


8.) Eight on the list we have  the American Museum of Natural History. A place where history comes alive through the many of the dioramas and exhibits. Containing one of the most elaborate and expansive natural history libraries as well as a massive planetarium, this museum is one of the largest in the entire world. I have learned a lot about natural history in classes and in books, however, nothing would beat receiving a more visual and in depth glimpse into the natural world.

9.) Broadway is the epicenter of the American theatre industry. So many amazing plays and musicals have been preformed there making it a cultural hub of New York. I have always enjoyed going to the theatre to watch live plays and musicals because no matter how many times you watch the same show, it will always be different. Simply seeing any show would suffice my eagerness but the  shows I would really love to see are: The Lion King, Jekyll and Hyde, and The Book of Mormon.

10.) Last but certainly not least is the United Nations Headquarters. A symbol of unity among nations and emphasis on diplomatic resolutions over hostilities, the UN Headquarters is a spectacle to observe. Located on Turtle Bay, with a beautiful view of the East River, the headquarters is plotted on a 17 acres piece that has extraterritorial status. The view alone is enough to make a person want to visit. Aside from the aesthetics I truly would want to visit the U.N Headquarters because I truly feel that peace among nations leads to prosperity for all. The U.N seeks to unify nations so that they all help each other in times of need, which I feel is a mission that benefits mankind greatly. Also politics and world affairs have always been another interest of mine. Therefore, going to the headquarters of one of the worlds most important political organizations would be a huge leap forward in my understanding of foreign affairs and political actions.

This assignment was both fun to do and difficult to finish. Choosing only 10 locations out of the many that the amazing New York City has to offer. This assignment really has elevated once again my huge excitement about going to Columbia. So many adventures await that it is really a bit overwhelming. However, I know for sure that regardless of what locations I visit, this trip will be life changing.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment