Thursday, May 16, 2013

With our Adoring Fans!

Yesterday was the School Board meeting at Lovonya Dejean Middle School in Richmond, CA. I arrived early, because I did not want to be the last one of my cohort who arrived! When I got there everyone was scattered around but soon our entire cohort arrived and we were able to get our flag and get ready. Once that was done, and before the meeting started, we were able to mingle with other members of ILC and get to know everyone better.  

At first the School Board had to vote on a few measures, which was very interesting to see since I had never seen such a meeting before. Then it was the ILC's turn to go up to the podium.  We went in alphabetical order so we were the fourth cohort to go up.  It was pretty nerve wracking to go in front of all the Board members and TV cameras, with so many people staring at our backs.  However all the speakers did an amazing job even though they must have been nervous as well. 

After all the speeches and kind words I heard, I have finally realized that everyone truly just wants us to be the best we can.  They are not supporting us for themselves, they are supporting us to be ambassadors of our District.  The sponsors and everyone else who has made the Ivy League Connection possible wants all the students to be equal with those from other areas, to those who are able to afford the Ivy League visits which many kids from WCCUSD are not able to afford.  The motivational speeches by the Board members as well as the alums were simply inspirational. 

Once that was all over, we went to take a group picture, well make that 20 pictures.  It made my mouth cramp and eyes water but it was worth it because I know the final product will be beautiful.  

This event has opened my eyes to the value that the Ivy League Connection holds in many peoples eyes.  The summer programs are truly life changing events, and I can not wait to experience the Presidential Powers program at Columbia University.  One of the things I want to do most at this point is to increase awareness of the Ivy League Connection and to explain to everyone what the importance is.  Many people just think it is a way to spend a summer in the East Coast, but it is so much more than that.  It is something that words can not express. I am so thankful to all those who are making it possible for us WCCUSD students to go to the East Coast this summer. I already know that it will be a wonderful experience with the five other people in my cohort and I will have the time of my life!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Anmol, you silver tongued devil. You say all of the right things: "but it was worth it because I know the final product will be beautiful."

    Yes, we took a lot of photos but it's a lot easier to take a few more photos than it is to recreate the scenario where we have 83 people all in the same place at the same time.

    You're right, though, that the final product WILL be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete