Sunday, May 12, 2013

Ten Got-to-Go Places in NYC!


My first assignment from Mrs. Lilhanand was to create a top ten list of the places I would like to visit in New York City. This was not an easy task. Trying to choose only ten places was difficult. Fortunately I had some help from my uncle, who, until recently lived in Manhattan and has been to many of the places in my list; he suggested many of them. After some long consideration (and in no particular order), this is my list of ten places I wish to visit in New York this summer:

1. When I think of New York City, the first thing that comes to mind is Broadway. I love live theater and to see the best of the best live would be amazing, probably even life changing. You cannot go to New York City and not go to Broadway. There are too many incredible plays and musicals currently on Broadway to choose just one. Of the shows now offered, I would like to see The Phantom of the Opera, Macbeth, The Lion King, The Book of Mormon, or Jekyll & Hyde. Although I have already seen Wicked at the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco, it is definitely a show that I wouldn’t mind seeing again.

2. The Empire State Building is an iconic symbol of New York, and I hear the view from the top is phenomenal. I would love to visit the 86th Floor Observatory. I cannot miss visiting the building made famous by King Kong and An Affair to Remember.

3. I would like to visit the gift from the French that has become an American landmark, The Statue of Liberty. The whole experience of taking a ferry to Ellis Island, seeing The Statue of Liberty, and traveling to the top to see the remarkable view would be an unforgettable memory.

4. I love television and cinema and acting, so why not go to The American Museum of the Moving Image. Not only does this museum exhibit a collection of motion picture and television artifacts, it also presents screenings and discussions of films. I would like to see the ongoing Behind the Screen exhibition. Going to this museum will expand my knowledge of American cinema and film.

5. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (otherwise known as The Met) would be yet another unforgettable destination. It is such a large museum that is known for its great architecture and millions of pieces that derive from many different time periods and places from around the world. I am especially interested in the Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibit that will be at the museum while my cohort and I are in New York.
                       
6. I am always asking “why” and am very interested in evolution and science. So why not the American Museum of Natural History, it should offer up some answers and food-for-thought. The Whales: Giants of the Deep exhibition is now open.

7. To see the evolution differences between classical art and “modern” art, I want to go to the Museum of Modern Art. The Museum of Modern Art is supposed to have some impressive collections of Picasso and Matisse. I have a print of a Matisse painting in my dining room that is from the Museum of Modern Art and I have always wanted to go.


8. The Rockefeller Center! We could go to The Top of the Rock Observation Deck and see the city. We could also go to the Channel Gardens see all of the stores and restaurants. Unfortunately the ice rink is closed for the summer but we can take a tour of the NBC Studios.


9. Although I was only five, I still remember the weeks that followed September eleventh with all of the images on TV. I would like to visit the 9/11 Memorial. Even though you can watch the videos and read about this tragic day, there is no better way to attempt to understand the extremity and significance of what happened than to visit the actual site.

10. And finally, for my number ten. . .Central Park! I love the outdoors and even though it’s in the middle of the city it’s still an amazing place. Central Park is huge and there is so much to do and see. There is the John Lennon Memorial, the Jackie Kennedy Onassis Reservoir, the Shakespeare Garden, and the statue of Balto. We could walk around the reservoir, go for a row boat ride or simply find a comfy spot in the shade and read a good book. I hope it's not too hot the day we go!

Although this assignment was difficult it was also really fun. I am so much more excited for our departure on June 18th now knowing all the amazing things we could go see and do. I hope my cohort and I get to visit all ten of the places I have chosen! Thank you Uncle Ed for helping me decide where I want to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment