Tuesday, May 14, 2013

An Amazing Prospect


Prospect. This is more than just the name of the restaurant where the Columbia dinner was held. The entire Ivy League Connection is an amazing prospect. 

I have been looking forward to tonight. Other than the potluck, tonight's dinner has been the biggest and most important event thus far for me as a Columbia cohort member or as an Ivy League Connection member. 

Because my classes didn't end today until four, I had to rush home to get ready in order to make it to the El Cerrito Plaza BART Station in time. We needed to be at the station by 5:20; luckily my mom and I arrived fifteen minutes early. We met Don, the five other cohorts and their parents, Mrs. L, Mr. Ramsey, Mrs. Kronenberg, among others; then we caught the 5:42 train. After transferring at Macarthur, getting off at Embarcadero, and walking a couple blocks, we finally arrived at Prospect.

The entire evening was so much fun! I really did not know what to expect. I arrived very nervous. Not only had I never been to an event like this before and told to mingle, I was chosen to be the first student speaker. 

When we arrived at the restaurant several sponsors and Columbia alumni met us there. There was assigned seating so every student sat with their parent (we all brought our moms) and sponsors and alumni. At my table sat Bryan and his mother, Margaret and her mother, and two alumni: Miguel Castro and Kenyatta Monroe-Sinkler. These alumni were so kind and inspiring. The stories they told of Columbia and their experiences were mind-blowing. Throughout the evening, after everything they said I now want to go to Columbia even more; I want to be there now taking Philosophy classes.

The agenda of the night was completed during the salad course (all of the food by the way was exceptional). During this business portion of the evening both Emily and I had to speak. For the most part, what I can say about my little speech is, "It could have gone worse." I didn't really know what I was expected to say so I said what sounded right. At one point Mr. Ramsey stood up and I thought he wanted me to speed it up, he didn't. Then everyone started clapping after something I said and I wasn't quite finished. It was all very awkward but I enjoyed it. I have to praise Emily—she did very well.

The entire evening was absolutely lovely. Everyone was and is so friendly and supportive. I had nothing to be worried about or scared of. The whole event was very enlightening and has really given me an idea of what to expect in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment