Saturday, May 11, 2013

Ten of New York's Best


While researching things to do in New York City, I realized that the opportunities are endless. This made creating a list of only ten things very difficult. After a lot of research and tough decisions, I came up with ten places I would absolutely love to go. 

1. Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is a short stroll with fantastic views. Located across the lower East River, the Brooklyn Bridge offers stellar views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.  After walking the bridge and arriving in Brooklyn, an area known as DUMBO (Down under the Manhattan Bridge overpass) offers an array of delicious restaurants, unique art galleries, clothing boutiques, and music opportunities. I love waking, but I love it even more when there’s an interesting destination with delicious food at the end of the walk.

2. September 11th, 2001 is a date that will forever live in the hearts of Americans as a horrific tragedy. Growing up in the post 9/11 era has influenced me in innumerable ways. Although I was unaware of the significance of 9/11 when it occurred, I have come to recognize the impact these attacks had on not only the United States, but also the world. Each time I am reminded of the September 11 attacks, I am filled with sadness. I know visiting the memorial will be a very sad and emotional experience, but I feel that it is extremely important to never forget the thousands of innocent people who lost their lives on that infamous date.

3. The bustle of activity in Times Square makes it one of New York’s most intriguing tourist destinations. Like Simon, I would love to go to Times Square at night to experience the endless billboards and flashing lights. It also occurred to me that we will be in New York exactly six months after New Year’s Eve. I would love to go to Times Square then, on June 31st, just for the irony of it.


4. Theatre on Broadway is the essence of New York City entertainment. The idea of going to a show excites me beyond words. Artists preforming on Broadway are the best of the best, insuring a magnificent experience for the audience.  I would be absolutely thrilled to see any show but a few of my top choices are Matilda, The Book of Mormon, and The Lion King.

5. Located in the center of a gigantic city, Central Park offers a scenic alternative to urban New York. The idea of taking a summertime stroll in the park sounds absolutely amazing. During the summer, Central Park is home to SummerStage where musicians preform for free nearly every night. I would love to end a stroll in Central Park with a free concert!

6. The Statue of Liberty is an American icon of Freedom. Each time I see a picture of it, I am reminded of the millions of immigrants who came to America in hope of a brighter future and saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time. For them, it gave assurance that their journey across the ocean was complete and new beginnings were just around the corner.  It is a magnificent structure, and one I would love to see up close.

7. I absolutely love views. Anytime there is the opportunity for an outlook, I take it. The top of the Empire State Building is arguably the best urban viewpoint in the world. Tickets for the main deck (82nd) floor of the Empire State Building are relatively inexpensive and well worth the cost!

8. Usually I don’t get too excited about going to museums, but I definitely feel differently about the MoMA. The MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) promises to intrigue nearly any visitor with its diverse collection of world-class pieces. I have always been interested in abstract expressionism, so I can’t wait to view the whole floor of the museum dedicated to this single theme. Throughout elementary school, my art teacher was constantly talking about the influence of Picasso. It will be fascinating to actually see one of his original pieces!

9. The Guggenheim is worth seeing for its exterior alone. Designed by the great modern architect Frank Lloyd Wright, the Guggenheim is one of the most aesthetically appealing buildings in the world. Inside the building there are thousands of fabulous artistic pieces from hundreds of renowned artists. It’s spiral ramp interior makes walking through the museum a unique and unforgettable experience.  
                        
10. Listening to good, live music is definitely one of my favorite things to do. The Bowery Ballroom offers all this, but at a fraction of the price of most other venues. It hosts popular bands in a small, not-too-crowded setting. The Bowery Ballroom would be a great place to spend a few nighttime hours in New York City!

This assignment really got me excited about the trip ahead. I now have a better understanding of all that New York has to offer. There is absolutely no way that I will be able to see everything but, thanks to Ms L for giving us this assignment, I now have some top priorities. Summer is just around the conner and I can't wait!  

No comments:

Post a Comment