Saturday, May 11, 2013

Adventure in New York City!

Our first assignment was to find ten places where we would really like to go in New York City. At first I thought it would be an extremely easy and simple assignment, but it's harder than it looks. New York City has so many wonderful places with immense history.  It is a cultural, economic and political center. However I tried to narrow my list down as best as I could so here are my top ten in no particular order. 

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the largest art museums in the world, and contains over two million pieces of art. Going to the Met would be amazing because of the great architecture and all the great artwork.  I am not an artist by any means but I can appreciate good art when I see it.  We have museums in the Bay Area but they don't have as much history or as many pieces as this one. It looks amazing from the pictures so I wonder what it looks like in real life!

2. New York is a cultural center so why not go to Broadway? It is pretty cliche to go watch a Broadway show, but why should we not? Broadway is world renowned for it's amazing plays.  I absolutely love watching plays and musicals.  There is nothing better than seeing people lose themselves in their character and performing on stage.  The actors are extremely talented, making me jealous and wish that I was too, but it is a lot of fun watching them do what they love. 

3. On a more serious note, I would love to got to the 9/11 memorial. What occurred that day changed the fate of many Americans and changed America as a whole.  The impact of the tragic incident was intense and I would really like to visit the museum.  Even though I did not personally know any one affected by the events, as an American I was greatly affected. It will be emotional if we do go, but I believe it will be worth it. I really would like to see how we have memorialized those who were lost. 

4.  My fourth choice is another museum that I am very interested in and it is the American Museum of Natural History. It contains over 32 million artifacts! The immense knowledge that I could gain from this museum would be irreplaceable. It would be like a hands on history lesson in a museum! Also, like many buildings in New York City, the architecture is simply stunning. The pillars with intricate detailing and high ceilings are beautiful.  It has a wide range of artifacts from meteorites to dinosaurs! 

5.  Right by the American Museum of Natural History is Central Park! A typical destination for all tourists! I think it would be great to just take a stroll in the park, and enjoy (hopefully it won't be too hot that day) the nice day. Such a beautiful park full of serenity in the middle of a bustling city, the city that never sleeps. There are so many things to do or see in Central Park.

6. Brooklyn Bridge is a historical bridge and the oldest suspension bridge in America.  The Golden Gate Bridge is pretty but Brooklyn Bridge is stunning. The bridge has been featured in many movies like The Dark Knight Rises and other artworks, so I would love to see it in person to see if it really is that nice.  The huge walkway would make it easy to see the sites. It would be very peaceful walking across the bridge and looking  at New York City.
 7. Although I am not a huge fan of heights, I love sites! I love looking out when I am up high, down at the city or the skyline. It is the going up part that is hard, but I can handle it so why not go to the Empire State Building? This skyscraper is the perfect place to get good pictures of New York City and enjoy the city from up above. It has been named a wonder by many American civil engineers and it is an American icon.  Everyone knows what the Empire State Building is and I would love to visit it! 

8.  The eighth place to visit on my list would have to be the United Nations Headquarters in New York City.  The United Nations is a wonderful organization that wants change and progress in the world.  They want to keep the peace and facilitate cooperation amongst the countries who are a part of the United Nations. Not only is the building gorgeous but I love what the United Nations stands for. 

9. The ultimate tourist destination when one goes to New York City is Times Square so of course that has to be in my top ten! Times Square is a bustling region of New York with people and billboards galore! We can look at the theaters and the shops near by and of course the jumbotrons! If we're lucky we might even see some live entertainment! 

10. Last but not least of course, I would love to visit the Museum of Modern Art otherwise known as MoMA. It contains a wide variety of art from sculpture to drawings, from film to works of architecture.  The museum houses over 150,000 individual pieces and 4 million film stills. I think contemporary art is very interesting so I would love to visit this museum. Also I have an affinity for film and photography so this would perfect for me.

Doing this assignment was a lot more difficult than any one could anticipate because New York City is simply amazing. It is full of new and interesting things to do.  These are the ten that I was the most interested in and I would love to go to any of them.  This assignment has made me even more excited for our departure to New York City! 

No comments:

Post a Comment