Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Another Step Ahead

This evening, ILC members, who either lived or attended school in Pinole, attended a brief City Council meeting. Here, we were to show the public a bit of what the ILC program was all about and the great benefits that come along with being a part of it.
The Entrance of Pinole City Hall
Before the meeting began, Don pulled all the ILCers aside and went over what we were to expect to come up and the layout of the entire presentation. He also went over the order each cohort would go up in. Once Don had finished telling us all we needed to know, we were set loose to await the beginning of the meeting.
Imagine speaking here, but with many more eyes on you
After about an thirty extra minutes of anxiety, the meeting began. Luckily we were the first group on the agenda, which really expedited the entire event for us. Don began with a description of the ILC program as well as how the program was completely unique to the West Contra Costa Unified School District.

After his brief speech, Don began calling up each cohort. Each group had a representative who needed to  explain a bit of the significance of the ILC program in our lives as well as the benefits we would  hope to bring back to our community.

Being the only member of my cohort who goes to school in Pinole, I was chosen as the speaker for the Columbia group. After about three cohorts, I was finally called up to give my speech. I will admit that at the beginning I was very nervous and heavy with jitters. I have done public speaking before; being a part of my school's debate team really is effective preparation and a beneficial experience. However, nothing prepared me for speaking in front of an audience, a City Council, and whoever happened to be tuning in on Pinole TV at the time. It really made me think how our president, Barrack Obama, must feel before he gives a speech to the entire nation. Then I began to think of every trick I had ever been taught in my debate team meetings on how to calm nerves; then it came to me. Before  beginning to speak I employed the only strategy  that had ever been completely effective at calming my jitters- I took a deep breath. Focusing on what it was I had to say and explain, I was able to quickly build my confidence and not choke under my self-inflicted pressure.
Me speaking at the City Council Meeting
Once every cohort had gone up and the Council Members had given feedback on the program, the only thing that remained to finish off with a group photo. After which we set free to go home. I found the evening to be a very enjoyable one. It was nice seeing some the other ILCers again, even though I attend school with most of the ones that were there. Also this event did get me even more excited to embark on the journey East because of all the amazing achievements our predecessors had accomplished after returning. I found amazing the description Don gave of how many of the students that came back from this programs were able to get into highly selective and prestigious schools when they applied after high school. It really made me proud to be a part of the program.  

1 comment:

  1. I’m at a loss, Bryan, about why you would be nervous coming before a government body at a meeting televised on live TV.

    You did great--you ALL did great.

    ReplyDelete