Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Day Not Soon Forgotten

Before today, when I was looking forward earlier this week, I was going to begin my blog like this, "When you are in the midst of your day, it feels as if the day is a never ending cycle of events; until you realize that is is already Friday." I wrote that not because I'm not enjoying myself or unsatisfied with my daily events, I wrote it because the days, quite simply, feel very long. But today there is nothing to complain about. I have had the most fun today than I have had since coming to Columbia, not that Columbia isn't fun.

Today started just like the four previous to it, routine style. Jackee and I met for breakfast and then went to class. In lecture today Professor Mesznik discussed the history of loans and the use of collateral. A major part of the lecture was that, in America, today's mortgages are loans that are backed by the collateral of real estate. Before today I really didn't understand what a mortgage was and how it worked. In seminar, we mainly discussed money. Money is anything that is generally accepted as a medium of exchange. Money simply is a means of payment, a store of value, and a unit of account. The value of money is endowed by its government.
We pose in front of the ladder to success.
At 4:15 I met with Mrs. L and my cohort for the daily meeting. Today instead of talking about our days, we met the director of the summer course program. We each introduced ourselves individually and talked briefly about our class and our experiences. He is a very nice man and I think he was impressed by everything we had to say. Because, as he said, he usually only interacts with students that are about to be expelled, he seemed refreshed by being able to see the other side of the spectrum of students.

 Because its Friday, curfew is midnight rather than 11:00, and it's Friday, my friend from class, Jackee, and I decided to go on the RA trip to the Metropolitan Museum. This museum is jaw-dropping and breath-taking and amazing in every way. Before going I knew that I was in for a treat and that I would enjoy myself but I really wasn't sure what to expect. My mind was blown. Not only is this museum huge, it has all different kinds of art from all over the world, more than you would ever want to see. I greatly enjoyed myself.
At the Met, I fell in love. I walked into the Nineteenth-Century European Painting gallery and was instantly mesmerized by Pierre-Auguste Cot's painting Springtime. This painting depicts to young people on a swing in the forest. Based on their body language and facial expressions, I believe, that they are greatly in love. True young love. This painting is how Romeo and Juliet should have ended. I love the painting so much that I bought a print.
Springtime
Along with Springtime I was able to see original Picasso's, Monet's, and Manet's; I was in heaven. Jackee and I also toured the featured exhibit of Punk: Chaos to Couture which was really interesting. At this exhibit you had the chance to analyze punk fashion and how it evolved over the years. It was fun to compare their crazy fashion statements to today's fashion. We were also able to visit the Roof Garden which is an open area at the top of the Met. From here you had a gorgeous view of the city. When leaving the museum we quickly walked through the Greek area. Other than the European Renaissance/Impressionist paintings, the Greek area has to be one of my favorite places. In the Disney animated movie Hercules there are these black and orange vases and pots; the real ones are in the Met. It was pretty surreal to see these things in real life. I love art museums and I rarely have the chance to go. Although I am not an artist myself, I definitely can appreciate art and the Met is the best place to do so. 
Jackee and I at the Roof Garden





















At one of the transfer stops on the Subway on our way back to Columbia, we saw Anne Hathaway! She is even more beautiful in person. I think she was doing an interview for an upcoming movie. I'm not sure. Whatever she was doing, I have no idea why they chose to do it down in the hot Grand Central Subway station. 
Anne Hathaway!!
After this long day full of excitement, wonders, beauty, and surprises, I came back to my dorm to relax with my suite mates. I love New York City. I have only just begun to peel back the skin of the city and really explore and relish in the beauty and fun it has to offer. If I don't come back here for school, which I would love to do, I will definitely visit and create new unforgettable memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment