Thursday, June 27, 2013

Rain and Routine


I am finally starting to feel as though I am developing a routine here at Columbia. Each morning I wake up, eat breakfast and then go down to class. During class, we discuss our assigned readings from the previous nights and then go to lunch. At lunch, I usually eat quickly and then go to the library to study. Our afternoon class usually consists of a lecture or interactive activity.  After class, our whole cohort meets with Mrs. L to debrief and let her know our plans for the afternoon. We then go our separate ways to participate in fun activities or to get a head start on homework. 

Today we had our first quiz in class. When I am new to a subject, it is often difficult for me to gauge what a teacher plans to test the students on. I usually start out shaky, but then fine tune my study habits to fit the teacher’s testing method. I feel that this is no different from the experience in Constitutional Law. Now that I know what we will be tested on, it will be much easier for me to focus my reading and studying on specific aspects of each case. It will be interesting to see what I got on this quiz and if I will see any improvement in my results of the quizzes to come.

Our instructor, Luke, had to go out of town for a wedding, so he missed the second half of class today and will miss all of class tomorrow. The replacement teacher seems great and I’m just as excited to learn from him, as I am to learn from Luke. This afternoon, the substitute led us in a very competitive game of constitutional Jeopardy. I could tell from the level of objections that nearly everyone in the class would become some sort of lawyer. Although my group came in second place, we had a gigantic comeback, making the game very exciting towards the end.

After class today, I went with a group of other girls to Times Square. During this outing, I really got to know some of my suite mates. We went to a delicious pizza place and then to an equally delicious cupcake shop. By the end of the trip, we were laughing together like old friends. I can’t wait to see how much closer we become in the coming weeks!

Today the rain finally came. Throughout our time in Times Square, a thunderstorm seemed imminent. It wasn’t until we came home, however, that the rain really started to fall. At first I thought my air conditioner was broken, but then I realized that it was the sound of a trillion raindrops hitting the ground below me. The downpour only lasted a few seconds, but I have a feeling that there will be many more to come in the next weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment