Sunday, June 23, 2013

Welcome To Columbia

Today our trip finally and officially began as we moved into our dorms at Columbia. Before we left off, our district cohort got breakfast together one last time in the cafe next door. Once again, Emily ordered more than probably the whole table could have consumed, so we laughed at her about that. We took taxis uptown to Columbia - our first time being there. Like the rest of these East Coast schools, Columbia is beautiful and just being around the buildings and being on the grounds is nice.
Emily struggles once again 

We checked into our rooms and unpacked - my room is actually very big - it's a double and there is plenty of room to breathe, and a decent view out of our window.

We saw the campus for the first time and met our roommates - and in some of our cases suitemates as well. My roommate is from Panama - and at this summer program, there is no shortage of international students. So far, in fact, the majority of the students I've met come from abroad.

In my hall alone I have met girls from Germany, Morocco, Belgium, France, Turkey and Russia. I have already begun to socialize with them and we've talked about all the differences in areas we're from - like how school for example. My German suitemate told me a bit about how school works there. She explained how there are three sort of "schools" where she's a student and your academic performance at the end of 4th grade determines which one you will attend from that point on. Each school has a very different educational quality, that prepare students for very specific career paths, and apparently it is very difficult to switch out of your school. I found this very interesting because I have little knowledge of how school works outside of the States. It was truly intriguing talking to all of the students today. 

Even talking to the girls from the States was eye-opening for me. I have to say its definitely a culture shock talking with all these people who are accustomed to such a different lifestyle - people who value their education and live and study in communities that have that same attitude. From what I can see so far they're extremely tolerant and accepting without losing sight of their individualism. Everybody has some interesting story - like they're from South Korea but studying in Toronto, or studying 5 languages at a completely bilingual, immersive academy in Turkey. I have simply never been around this level of diversity - the kind of diversity that extends beyond just number and skin color. 

Even though its only been basically half a day, I've met more interesting people in just the last few hours than I have probably all year. I'm really looking forward to meeting my classmates tomorrow and other students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment