Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Speaking with the Herculeans

Today was the Hercules city council meeting at the Hercules City Hall.  This was the first time I had ever been to a city council meeting so I did not really know what was in store for us.  I was also really nervous because Don said that we had to speak for 1.5 to 2 mins about ourselves and our courses. The meeting was interesting because the council members went over topics that specifically had to do with my community; I think I might be attending more city council meetings in the future. However I could not focus on the actual meeting because I was trying to remember what I was going to say.  I was so nervous and my throat was drying because of the air conditioning. 

Sooner than I had hoped, we were told to stand up after Mr. Ramsey said many kind words about us. We went one by one down the line in which we were standing and I was third.  Rochelle and Christian, both are going to Cornell, spoke before me and had wonderful speeches making me more anxious.  When I got to the podium I forgot what I wanted to say but spoke from my heart and tried to smile.  Although I fumbled a bit, hey everyone makes mistakes, I think it went pretty well.  After I finished, I realized I was being nervous for no reason.  It's not like people would have been made fun of me if I messed up a little.  I think that if I hadn't been in the Ivy League Connection, I never would have attended a city council meeting or spoke publicly.  I'm glad that because of the ILC I am slowly, but surely, getting over my fear of public speaking.

By the end we had to take a group photo because what is an Ivy League Connection meeting without amazing photography by Don Gosney? After we were settled we smiled big and bright for the pictures. Once that was over, we were able to leave the meeting and let the council members continue doing their official business. On my way to the car, it really hit me.  I only have one week left in California until I'm going to be in New York City for almost a month! I am so excited yet nervous at the same time. I want to experience all the new things but I have butterflies in my stomach. This was our last milestone before the trip, so it's all coming together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment