Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Fun and Surprising Second Day

The night appeared to be long and refreshing as  many of the members in my suite used this time to get a good nights rest. Unlike like the day before, classes started at 10:00 so it was only until 8 when everyone finally started waking up in order to have time to eat breakfast. I, along with two of my other suitemates, proceeded to the dining commons once we were all ready for the day. Once again the selection of food was plentiful. Everything from sausage and eggs to pastries and fresh fruit. Upon finishing our meals, we headed back to our dorm where we went to pick up everything we would need for our classes.

When time finally came around, we departed so as to not be late to our classes. Upon reaching my class I quickly sat in on of the front rows and began taking out all the material I would need. After a few minutes, our instructor walked in and began the class. The first session was mainly going to be dedicated to review of the material that we had to read the night before. Some of that reading was  really was pretty challenging and was unlike anything I had ever been given at my normal high school to learn from. As the instructor slowly went over the details of the first few parts of the reading I began to better understand everything I had had trouble with the night before.. All my complications seemed to go away with each clarification offered by the instructor and I found myself able to understand much of the material better. When morning session ended, I took off back to my dorm to unload my bag and head over to the dining commons to eat lunch. On the way I met up with some of my suitemates and we decided to all go eat together. The main course of the day was pizza and the lines were piling up very fast in order to get a slice. When we finally were able to get our food we sat down at the closest open table and just relaxed. We talked about the details of the morning session and what it was that we had learned and used the time to rest a bit before the afternoon session began.

After a while, time announced that it was time to go to class again. I picked up my bag from my dorm and headed out. According to the professor, the session was going to be very laid back and would only involve watching two movies about the Supreme Court and its history in the United States. Both of these videos not only cleared up some of the question I had about the reading we had had for homework, but also provided me with knowledge that was very important to know. The session seemed so interesting to everyone that the time seemed to fly pass by quickly. Eventually class ended and I was off to go await Ms. L for our debrief. Ms. L Slowly everyone from our cohort began arriving to our meeting point and Ms. L shortly followed.

It felt good to debrief over the day's events. It was almost like venting out everything that was good and bad about the day to someone who actually cared about what I had to say. I very much enjoyed telling someone about the experiences I had about and how I was feeling. Aside from that it was also good to see that the entire cohort was still united and a whole.

After we had concluded our debriefing with Ms. L we each headed our own separate ways. I headed back to my dorm where it was a great relief to just be able to relax for a while. As soon as I was starting to rest for a while, my suitemates come knocking on my door asking me if I wanted to go with them to get some dinner at five guys. I agreed, with Ms. L's approval, and we all set the time for leaving for about a while later. When the time finally arrived, we all found out that there was a problem. Unfortunately one of our suitemates that was supposed to come with us, accidentally locked himself out of his room AGAIN. Usually, an RA would arrive as soon as possible to assist the student whenever he or she is locked out, however this was the fourth time that this student had been locked out, so he was forced to wait until the next lockout round at 7 PM. That meant either we left him and went to eat or we waited the extra hour to await for his room to be unlocked. We, generously chose the option of waiting for his door to be unlocked. By the time we were able to finally hit the road we had waited for almost an hour and a half for the door to finally be unlocked.

After we got back from eating, we remembered that there was a very advanced version of tag being put on in the center of campus. The majority of the suite decided to head out and play for a while. However the name was very deceiving and the intensity of which the game required and strategy was really high. Many people were unable to complete the main objective of the game because of the amount of skill to reach the fountains at the center of campus. After about two rounds the majority of my suitemates were forced to call it quits out of pure exhaustion. We all headed back to the dorm, took a shower and met in the suite common room. There some us gathered to attempt to do finish of our homework. This lasted up until curfew, which after a long day of activities meant that everybody went to sleep very quickly.

Overall the day was a really productive. I learned a lot from my classes and was able to bond with my suitemates more. I now am becoming part of two families here on campus,  cohort and my suitemates. I have been very successful, in bonding with the members of my suite and have begun to learn a lot about who they are and the distinct cultures that lie behind them. Before ever entering this program I would have never thought it possible to be able to get to know people from so many different countries and cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment