Thursday, June 27, 2013

Adventure Lies Behind Every Door

Today was actually one of the best days I have had during my stay here. It began like any normal day with the same early wake up time of 8:00 AM. Like every day before it, I got dressed and headed out for breakfast with my suitemates. It has become an official custom to always eat together, and in a way it is what keeps us together as a group.
 
We then, all proceeded to our classes. During the morning sessions, we went over a few of the court cases we had to read for homework. A lot of these cases had to do with a fight for power between the federal and state governments. Also some of them involved the strife for equal power among the branches of government. All of these topics were really fascinating to me and really helped explain why our government operates the way it does as it today. I feel like I am really receiving a in-depth education on how and why the government operates the way it does. This education will really be beneficial to me during my advanced history class next year and will undoubtedly put me one step ahead.
 
After the morning session, I met up with my suitemates and a couple of new friends that I made in class. There we ate and just relaxed for a while. In retrospect, I feel that this usual eating together in order to escape the stresses and intensities of our classes has really kept us from becoming overwhelmed. When we were all done, we headed back to our dorm to get started on our homework for the day.

Eventually it was time to go to class once again and a big surprise was awaiting me for me on the other side of the door. Apparently our professor, had to take a short trip up to Canada, and therefore had another instructor fill in for him. The new instructor seemed to resemble our current professor personality wise and certainly had a desire and a passion for teaching. During the evening session, we played jeopardy using facts from each of the court cases which we had learnt. It was really a nice review of all the court cases and facts about the Supreme Court. The entire session was very relaxed and fun.

An outside glimpse of my dormitory
When we finished class we headed out to meet Ms. L. During our meeting once again the importance of time management was stressed once again. I feel that in the little time I have been here, I have begun to fine tune my time management abilities to the point where I have time for everything I want to do in my day. Ms. L also gave us vital information about what we would need for the weekend, including how the system for getting food would work. After we concluded the meeting I rushed back to my dorm where the majority of my suitemates were all gathered at the television watching the Spain versus Italy soccer game. One of my favorite things about my suitemates is that the majority shares a passion for soccer like me. We stayed watching the very intense game and eventually we were really immersed into it. We were on edge the second they went to penalties and we all burst out into cheer when Spain won. This was yet another instance in which we bonded and became closer as a group.

At the end of the game we switched gears and tuned in to the NBA (National Basketball Association) Draft, in which teams were able to choose young college players for their pro teams. Through this experience, I began to notice how accepting each of us was of each others likes and customs. No one said anything negative and pleasantly tuned in even if the knew nothing of what was going. Even I, a person who is not a big fan of the NB, found myself completely entranced by the event. This just goes to show how much I have opened up to different ideas and concepts.

By this time it was pretty much dinner time so as a group, and with Ms. L's permission, we headed out to go eat at a restaurant that was across the street from Columbia. We ate and split the check evenly among everyone. After which we headed back to the dorm to finish our homework and await curfew.

Once again, it was an amazing day that really took me by surprise. Today I felt that I really connected with all my suitemates through sports. Also  my management skills have really been improving, because now I feel like I am no longer stressed out about anything.at all and my suitemates also provide me with multiple laughs that really make me feel happy and uplifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment