Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ready...Set...Takeoff

After much anticipation and anxiety, the day my cohort and I had been looking forward to ever since we were accepted into the ILC program had finally arrived. We, along with the Cornell cohort, met in front of El Cerrito High School to await for the shuttle to take us to San Francisco International Airport. 

SFO International main terminal
Upon arrival at ECHS (El Cerrito High School) we first not only had to present Don with our government issued IDs and Medical Cards, but also weigh our bags to ensure they were travel ready. The Columbia cohort was the first to have all its members and chaperone presents, so once all the bags were finished being weighed, we then proceeded to taking a group picture. 
After which we then proceeded to wait for all the Cornell members to arrive and take their group picture. Once both of these were accomplished, Don began giving everyone some basic reminders such as blogging protocols, the importance of communication, and time management. Upon completion of Don’s speech, it was only a mere couple of minutes before the shuttle arrived to take us the airport.
The beauty of a New York sunset in the distance
With sad hearts we all said our goodbyes to our parents, and then slowly began filing into the shuttle. As it slowly pulled away, however, it was clear that the reality of the situation began to officially set in for everyone. In less than a few hours we would board a plane that would transport us to an entirely new and wondrous part of the country. We all would now be getting a enriching experience that would ultimately change our lives forever. All these thoughts rushed through my mind as we made our way to SFO International.
Upon arrival at the airport, we first dropped off the Cornell cohort, then proceeded to our own terminal at Virgin Airlines. Unfortunately, with my luck, things never go as smoothly as I would hope them to. While unloading the bags from the shuttle, I discovered that my bag had accidentally been taken by one of the Cornell students. Thankfully, though, the person did not check the bag and she also realized she had taken the wrong bag and we were able to successfully exchange. After this it was pretty much smooth sailing from there on out. We were able to successfully get through the security checkpoint and pick up something to eat for both breakfast and lunch at a local shop. After which we quickly hurried over to the gate where boarding was about to commence.
The bed in me and Simons hotel room
Once on the plan a sense of nostalgia began setting in and once the plane took off, that sensation began to become stronger within me. No matter how many times I had talked about wanting to see the outside world, I always knew deep down that San Francisco would always be my true home. Through these emotions that began building, I began to notice how valuable all the little things in life are and how no matter how insubordinate they may seem at the time, in reality they make life a lot more interesting.

A stunning image of the Empire
State Building
The plane ride was overall average. For the most part, the people around me slept throughout most of the flight. I did however manage to help out an elderly woman who sat next to me during the flight. I managed to find out that she was of Arabic descent and was headed to New York to visit family . For the majority of the flight, though, I spent thinking of the adventure I was about to embark on. I would experience things I normally would not have the opportunity to.
Once the plan finally landed in JFK International, we proceeded to claim our bags at the carousel. Immediately you are able feel the increased humidity of the atmosphere upon exiting the aircraft. Its a blast that completely juxtaposes with the atmosphere of San Francisco. Even after stepping out of the terminal doors and getting our first up front glimpse of New York. Its was clear that we were stepping into a completely alternate world from the one we left behind.
16 oz. of amazing quality meat
After arriving at the elegantly Beacon Hotel in the Upper West Side getting changed into formal attire, we proceeded to have dinner. We had to take subway to reach the amazing restaurant Keens Steakhouse, one of the oldest steakhouse's in the country. It was an amazing combination of modern cuisine and a history lesson packed into one incredible restaurant. Even better was my meal, a tasty sirloin that was so well cooked and soft that the meat could practically melt in my mouth. It was probably the best piece of meat I have ever eaten in my life. The dessert was even better by far. We all came to the decision of sharing a trio of New York Cheesecake, Chocolate Cake, and Key Lime Pie. The meal was overall delicious and utterly satisfying. After dinner we then proceeded back to the hotel to get some well deserved rest. 

1 comment:

  1. There's such a thing, Bryan, as a conspiracy to commit torture and I think you all have crossed the line. Every single one of you is writing tonight about how great your steak dinners are knowing full well that those you left behind--and I'm talking about me--is eating leftovers reheated in my nuclear oven.

    Not to worry, though. I don't hold grudges. Perhaps that's because I know that by this weekend you'll be dining in Columbia's residential dining commons and you'll still have memories of tonight's dinner to make a comparison with.

    ReplyDelete