Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Sequel to our Program Begins!

Today we checked out of the Beacon Hotel and drove about fifty streets up to the entrance of Columbia University. The campus seemed like a lovely place and we dragged our luggage through the humid heat to check in. I was a little nervous even though I did a summer program last year so I knew I would be fine on my own. But the program I went on last year was only about 25 kids, and when we entered Columbia I saw a line of students stretching across the whole yard. As we waited the line continued to grow and grow and I grew more and more nervous. Typically I do not like being in large groups, so I was worried it would be hard to meet new people and fit in. I knew I would always have my cohort to support me and stay with me but I was hopeful that my roommate would be nice. I had heard that about 30-40% of the kids at the Columbia programs are international so I was hopeful to meet someone from another country.
The amazing library at Columbia.
It took about an hour but eventually we had our "Columbia Blue" room keys and we were ready to visit our rooms. I am in a suite: two double rooms that share a bathroom. At first my roommate was not there yet, so I unpacked and headed outside to look at the beautiful campus. Columbia University is a stunning place. The central area has two iconic buildings separated by grass and pathways. I met with Ms. L and the rest of the cohort and we headed around the corner to the campus store. I did not know what to expect from the class so I bought a little of everything. Notebooks, folders, a Columbia lanyard, a planner, post-it notes, highlighters, and the famous Ivy League sweatshirt. Emily, Margaret, and I bought similar sweatshirts! We then headed over to the local drug store to stock up on shampoo and laundry detergent. The more we walked around Broadway Ave. and the campus the more comfortable in it I began to feel. I returned to my room excited to meet my suite mates.

My roommates name is Raul and he is from Puerto Rico. He was extremely friendly and made me feel so much more comfortable knowing that my roommate is actually very similar in mentality to me. I also spent a lot of time talking with a member of the room next to me who likes to be called Shaz. He is from Pakistan and currently lives in Dubai. It was INCREDIBLE hearing about life in Dubai and what the culture is like there. We all went on an orientation with our resident advisor Scott where he explained the strict rules Columbia sets for the summer program students. Everyone in my "R.A." group is extremely friendly and fun to be around so my negative thoughts about before slowly evaporated into excitement. 
Margaret looking lovely in front of some flowers on campus.
In the evening all the students attended a little party at the gazebo in the main quad of Columbia. One of the RAs was the DJ and it was a bit of an activity fair. Different RAs had signs displaying the activities you could sign up for if you are interested. So far I have signed up for a trip to the Highland, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, a Civil War exhibit at the Met, and an off broadway show called "Potted Potter" which makes fun of the Harry Potter franchise. It was also a chance to meet new people. I met up with Emily and Margaret and was introduced to members of their suites. I met people from Russia, Germany, Panama, and from all over the United States. It was so interested hearing different people's stories about what life is like in other countries. Since there was music blasting there was not much time for deep meaningful conversations, but it was a good opportunity to learn a little bit about the people I am going to spend my time with for the next few weeks. 
The meet and greet activity fair eventually turned into an RA dance performance!
One highlight of my day was uncovering a little secret on the Columbia campus. In front of the domed building at the center of campus is a statue. Somewhere hidden on the statue is an animal. I went with a few new friends and Margaret to try to find the animal and escape the loud music. In the end all it took was a little turn of the head and a change of perspective and we emerged victorious! I will not post a picture because that would spoil it for all you readers, and that takes all the fun out of the challenge!

Today was an interesting day. I met new people and moved into my home for the next three weeks. I am anxious for class to start tomorrow so I can get to know the specific people that are in Constitutional Law. I met a couple girls who are in the class, but I know there must be more! Today marks the beginning of a new part of my ILC journey. I want to extend a blanket of thanks to all the sponsors and coordinators of the program for making this exciting opportunity available to my cohort, and the other cohorts. I look forward to sharing my new experiences with you all!
Columbia in the evening is a beautiful sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment