Saturday, June 22, 2013

F.O.M.O -Angela Ning

Fear Of Missing Out. This acronym correlates perfectly with my definition of FDR's quote, 'The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.' For all of you who don't know, Angela Ning is one of the five current students at Yale who gave us a (unofficial) tour of the school and joined us for lunch.

Today we hopped on the train to Yale University! Woot! Woot! I'm sorry Sarah Lawrence but I've found a new love, Yale. I know I am going to really enjoy my time at Columbia but I can definitely say that I envy the guys going to Yale in August. I don't envy the heat they will have to endure though-sorry guys, you'll melt.

Yale Dining Hall
Allow me to elaborate upon my enthusiasm. Yale is amazing. Now Gary Sulioti, another one of the five current students that met us at the campus, would ask me why Yale is so amazing (although I'm sure he already knows) and to explain myself through words. Love is a complicated emotion and with that, there are several factors as to why I love Yale. (Although I think this may be lust, we haven’t spent enough time together.) First of all, the campus is beautiful, especially Old Campus. The architecture is amazing. A lot of the buildings looked like mini castles and most them are student residential areas! The main dining hall looks like the dining hall at Hogwarts in Harry Potter. As a fan of Harry Potter, that is amazing. The whole feel of the campus is very comfy and homey. The area just feels like the right area to be in. Secondly, I really like the curriculum and the way the education part of Yale is set up. Although there are no core classes, there are requirements that you have to fill but Yale does have a lot more freedom than a UC, for example, would have. The only thing I don’t like about the classes is that early ‘Introductory Lecture Classes’ can get really big, like a few hundred. Third, and finally, I like Yale’s twelve college system. The twelve colleges are separate student residential colleges. (At first I thought the twelve colleges were different curricular subjects but the idea and prospect of them is entirely social.) It really is a nice way of breaking up the classes and giving students the opportunity to build a community.
Yale Campus
In contrast to Yale, I think Vassar is my second favorite school that my cohort and I have visited. I really like the seminar, conversational style classes that they have. And all the classes are on the smaller side. I think learning in a smaller group, conversation style with one-on-one time with the professor would really be beneficial for me and the best way I learn. Curricular wise, I prefer Vassar but I love Yale’s campus and the vibe it sets off. Maybe with some research and a little elbow grease (work) I can find a college that is the best of both worlds.

At Yale my cohort and I met up with one of the Brown cohorts; we toured the school and had lunch together. In the middle of the tour we made a detour to Caseus, and amazing little restaurant known for its cheeses. Anmol and I along with two Brown cohort students sat at a table with Angela and Bella Napier (another current Yale student). I can’t speak for the other tables but today’s lunch was great. Not only were our conversations really entertaining and fun but the food was amazing. Angela and Bella talked about their personal experiences at Yale, on campus clubs and groups, curriculum, and the best spots on campus. Lunch consisted of three courses, two main and a dessert. It was all amazing.
Lunch at Caseus
Once we finished to tour we took the train back to the city. We had a little down time before our last fancy dinner. Yes, two big meals in one day. At Estiatorio Milos, a Greek restaurant, we met with two Vassar alumni, one student currently at Columbia, and one student currently at Harvard. Because all of our guests at this table were so different and study different things, the conversations were very interesting. I could connect with almost each one of them. Jessica Chi, Columbia student, loves to sing, act, and perform, which I too love to do. Justin Katiraei, Harvard student, is an economic major so we talked about the book I’m reading Predictably Irrational; he agreed with many of the theories. And finally, the Vassar alumni Brian Farkas and I connected on a more intellectual level than I did with the others. He has made me like Vassar even more than I did before.
The Lobster Salad Mrs. L and I shared for dinner.
Listening to an alum talk about a school and hold a conversation with them is like no other experience. Hearing them rave about their school and all the amazing things that it offers really makes you want to attend the school (I do at least). Their love for their school really rubs off on you. I wonder if they realize how much power they have over our young mold-able minds they have; they probably do know.

Tomorrow we move into the dorms! I am so excited! Our entire schedules are going to change and this will be a whole new experience.


Is it just me or is FOMO a (seemingly) more sophisticated version of YOLO; You Only Live Once. Fear Of Missing Out does not seem nearly as reckless. Maybe it’s an East Coast thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment