Monday, June 17, 2013

Mind Boggling

I don't think it has quite hit me yet that tomorrow my cohort and I will be flying out of San Francisco and on our way to New York City. It is a little mind boggling. Grasping and accepting the whole idea of everything that will befall me in the coming weeks will probably hit me either tomorrow morning at the airport or when we land in New York. I imagine it being one of those moments where your heart skips a beat and you loose your breath while managing to compose yourself. 

I have been looking forward to the upcoming departure ever since Don offered me this opportunity. I have read the previous cohort's blogs and have heard Mrs. L's plans but I still feel as if I don't know what to expect. I definitely don't know how I will react to the time, weather, and environment (suburban to urban) changes. This is all so new and exciting! And scary but in a good way.

Since my last day of school was May 24th, I have used these past couple of weeks to my advantage. I have used them to relax and recuperate. For the course I will be taking, An Intro to Business, Finance, and Economics, I have to read three books. Although I have not gotten as much reading done as I would have hoped, I think I will be able to finish all three books before the course starts. So far my favorite out of the three books is Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. It is about the irrationality of human behavior and how this corresponds with the economy and economic decisions people make. This book has actually been a lot more interesting and entertaining to read than I had expected; it has gotten me rather excited for the course.

Tomorrow after we reach our hotel we will go to Keen's Steakhouse for dinner. This is exciting because not only is it one of the oldest steakhouses in the country, my uncle has raved about the food. He has asked me to go to the second floor of Keen's and take a picture of the playbill that Lincoln was supposedly holding when he was shot, it is on display.

Today I have done and have now finished most of my packing. This has been a much more difficult process than one would assume. Because we are each allowed one suitcase and there is a maximum weight of 50 pounds (yet Don has asked us to shoot for around 42 pounds), some difficult decisions have been made. I have checked and rechecked my luggage; I just hope that I don't forget anything! 

1 comment:

  1. You have me worried, Elena.

    I’ll be heading out to the Departure Point in a few minutes and when you arrive we’ll be weighing your luggage. I surely hope you’re not the one I use as an a=example in future years about the ILCer who showed up with luggage exceeding the limit.

    I’m envious of you all with the itinerary you have. Aside from the whole Columbia thing, you have quite an itinerary planned out for you.

    ReplyDelete