Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Day of Rest and Excitment

After a long and exhausting week, today was the first official day I had off. It felt really amazing to obtain a full night of sleep and recover from a week full of activity. I had nothing planned for the morning so therefore I was able to relax for a while and do my homework. I heard my suitemates finally begin to get out of bed at around midday and I headed to the common room to find that a lot of my suitemates were tuning into the Uruguay versus Italy soccer game on ESPN. I instantly joined in to the viewing and watched what remained of the game. It was really great to have another instance where we bond as a group. As our resident advisor had previously told us, we were one of the closest groups in the entire program.

When the game concluded, after an intense round of penalty kicks, we headed to the café that is located directly next to our dormitory for lunch. We bought hot dogs and drinks and then headed back our dormitory where we finished eating. When we finished eating, we went to grab our laptops and began sharing popular music with each other. I found that, I was able to find out a lot about my suitemates based on the music they liked. Each had their own personal likings and dislikes, however there we some instances in which we all agreed upon a song choice. We did this for a while until it was once again time to watch more soccer.

The game we had all been waiting for was the dream match between Spain ( the FIFA World Cup 2012  champions) versus Brazil ( the host of the FIFA World Cup 2014). Two of my suitemates were Brazilian so they therefore supported Brazil, and on the other hand there were two that fully supported the Spanish team. I was split neutral and my biggest thought was being able to see possibly one of the greatest games in football/soccer history. As the game commenced we were all debating on whether plays were called fairly and if the were clear shot opportunities that should have been acted on. It was really an incredible moment and simply being able to enjoy watching a game of soccer with my suitemates was phenomenal in my opinion. The amount we had bonded over the past week was very evident in the way we all came together to watch the game. I felt like part of a family, one that was made up of various unique and diverse individuals.

After the conclusion of the game, and an incredible victory by Brazil, I headed back to my room to finish all my homework and set my things ready for the next morning. This took me up until curfew after which I just continued doing a bit of homework until I finally decided that I needed to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment