Sunday, June 30, 2013

Resting Up Before the Week

I finally had a day where I could sleep in and relax. Every other day I have been going to sleep fairly late and waking up early, which is my fault I know, but today I lounged around until 10:30 AM when I woke up. I felt fully rested for the first time since I have come to Columbia and it was amazing.  I was so tired from all the walking we did yesterday and the first week that sleep came naturally to me.  A little while later I went out with my RA and our suite to have brunch at a restaurant called Artopolis and let me tell you, it was amazing! Columbia University is great and all but there food is not what they are known for. I was so happy to get a good crepe in my tummy! I think I miss the little things back home like my own bed, my bathroom, and my own food but the pros outweigh the cons here. 

I love how close my suite is with our RA.  Honestly, she is one of the nicest people I know and I feel like she really is looking out for all of us.  I thought that I would be lost here but it feels like I have grown with these people.  I already feel more confident in myself because I have made so many new friends and companions.  I never would have thought that I would be the person on the elevator introducing myself to strangers, but I am! I talk to anyone and everyone and this is amazing.  I know I am going to shock people when I go back on how much more confidence I have in myself and I know this confidence will take me to bigger and better things in the future.

Brunch was actually the highlight of the day because after that, I mostly lounged around my dorm conversing with my hall mates. I did do my laundry today, and it was in the basement of my dorm, so it was slightly creepy and very hot.  I was so surprised that you actually don't need quarters because there is a card machine on the wall that you can use instead! If I don't have any quarters next time, that's what I'm using. I was proud of myself for successfully doing my laundry even though I basically through all my clothes in one load. 

For dinner my RA and our group decided to have a pizza night! Our RA got $25 to spend on our suite so we decided to buy pizza and soda, and there was a movie coming on the TV.  After the dinner, we asked our RA to teach us how to salsa, meringue and bachata! There is a hispanic night happening tomorrow on campus so we decided why not learn how to do some dances! It was a lot of fun and I'm even more tired now! I don't think that my dorm building is the best but I think I did luck out on the best residents! We are all so different, yet we all act as one big family! 

I decided to take some alone time in my room right before I started doing this blog, and I just got to thinking that I have only been here one week and we only have less than two weeks left.  It's so surprising to here that I have been here for one week because it feels like I have been attending school at Columbia for a long time.  I know that it's going to be very hard when these three weeks come to an end because I honestly do not want to leave any of these people.  They are what are making my experience so amazing. I think that is just as important as learning from the class. Yes we should always learn academically but social growth is necessary as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment