Sunday, June 30, 2013

Movie Knight.

Today was my first real day of relaxation. I had no plans, besides an early morning breakfast with a friend from my Constitutional Law class. After eating at the same diner that George and Jerry routinely sit in throughout the television show "Seinfeld", I went back to my dorm room where I would spend most of my day. The weather was overcast so it was not good photography weather, and I decided it was time to take a day off from the hustle and bustle of New York and just hang out. The first thing I did however, was get my homework done.

Today the homework was extending our unit on free speech and the first amendment. Many of the cases I read came from around World War Two this time. They all involved deep discussions into when it is ok to take away not only and individual, but a group's freedom of speech. A few of the cases had to do with organizations that were charged with promoting anarchy and rebellion. Because these groups were becoming a threat to the government of the state, and the welfare of the population within the state, the state was allowed to pass legislation restricting the group's speech. All the cases came back around to the "clear and present danger" test, and many denounced it for being a situational test that cannot be applied when something must be done immediately. Each case was interesting and I am excited to go to class tomorrow to discuss them with Luke.

The rest of my day was spent relaxing in my room. I caught up with some friends back in the Bay Area and told EVERYONE about my encounter with Anne Hathaway. When Margaret and her friend Claire came back from thrift shopping I met them in the lounge and we studied together. The three of us decided to go off campus for dinner and ate at a delicious small Korean BBQ restaurant. The food was delicious and we loved all the complimentary vegetable dishes they gave us to start with. Feeling very full we returned to the dorms for the most exciting part of my day, movie night. We decided to watch the Dark Knight Rises, because Claire had not seen it. We all got to know each other a lot better and had some very funny laughs making fun of Batman and Bane. Today was a very uneventful day, but I was able to take a nice day off and just relax for a bit. I now feel ready to wake up and go back to class tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment