Friday, June 21, 2013

"The Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself" -FDR

I love this quote rendered by President Franklin D. Roosevelt at his first Inaugural Address in 1933. He summed up the perfect approach to life in one sentence. The only way to lead a successful life to its full potential and enjoy a lack of regrets is to live each day to the fullest and to put your best foot forward. I know it is a bit confusing when you think about it and kind of an oxymoron, but the message (from my understanding) is that the only thing you should ever be afraid of is being afraid. If you’re afraid of being afraid then you essentially are afraid…the point is, don’t be afraid! Fear will prevent you from attempting the, potentially, most life-altering opportunities you may come across and simply leave you with regrets. Fear is psychological choice.

As a rising senior being presented with so many life-altering decisions, there is a lot to be afraid of. At the end of this past school year I decided that I had to partake in some serious self-discovery this summer; at this point I can say that I am on the journey to self-discovery, one of which will end in a mind-blowing epiphany. I have decided to go with my gut feeling as often as possible because thinking (which I think I often overdo) can make some intimidating things seem scarier than they should be. (This was a mini epiphany I had at Vassar this afternoon.)

Today my cohort and I took the train from the Pennsylvania Station to Poughkeepsie. The train ride was gorgeous. The route from New York City to Poughkeepsie is right along the Hudson River. In addition to the gorgeous weather, the view from the train was marvelous. I know people have said that the river was big but the river is big! It is much larger than I had imagined. It looks like the Bay in California.

Once in Poughkeepsie we took a taxi to Hyde Park, the home of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s estate. We toured a small portion of the estate including the rose garden where he and Eleanor are buried. A majority of the tour was in his home. Although Franklin’s branch of the Roosevelts (there are several branches of the family, one of which being that of Theodore Roosevelt's) is a wealthy family with an old name, the home was not meant to display wealth (such as a mansion) it was a home. The dark wood, carpets, and furnishings gave the house a very homey/comforting feel. It was beautiful. The tour guide also provided many details about the Presidents that you may not know, such as: did you know that Franklin’s wife Eleanor was the niece of President Theodore Roosevelt, his fifth cousin?
Hyde Park including FDR's home and final resting place
After venturing through the small museum in Hyde Park and watching a 20 minute video on the President we took a taxi to Vassar College. We attended an info session which was almost identical to that of Sarah Lawrence and UPenn minus specific curriculum. Then we went on the tour; the tours are the best and most informative part of visiting a college. The campus is huge and magnificently stunning. I really like the feel of it, and the look is astounding. It is like there are mini castles everywhere. The library is breathtaking; I wouldn’t mind spending hours in there.
Vassar
The mini epiphany I had at Vassar was that they require for their students to come into the school with four years of a language; my school only offers up to three years of Spanish. Knowing that this may set me back or disqualify me for applying has made me want to go to Vassar even more. Now that I know that I can have something, I want it more. I don’t like people telling me I can’t do something, anything is possible; it just takes a little extra effort. I know it seems impossible now but I just have to figure something out, it will all work out the way it should. No fear!

Amazing Broadway bound performers
After Vassar we took the train back into the city. After all the amazing things that I learned and saw today, is it bad that dinner was the highlight of my day? As someone who wishes to be an actress and in the performing arts, dining at Ellen’s Stardust Diner was quite the experience for me. I don’t think I have ever been to such an entertaining restaurant. Not only was the food good but so were the performances. At the Stardust Diner all of the waiters and waitresses are people who moved to New York City with the dream of being on Broadway. Because they are not on Broadway they are stereotypically serving food, but in a very unique and fun way. They all take turns singing and performing while on their shifts serving food; my mind was blown for the second time today. I loved it and would love to go back.
Anmol with a Stardust singer
Tomorrow we visit Yale! The alumni that we had dinner with the other day got me really excited for this school.

2 comments:

  1. All three of the Roosevelts are so extremely interesting.

    While you suggest that TR’s side of the family wasn’t as “rich”, they didn’t have to worry about putting food on the table. For instance, the Nobel Peace Prize that TR was awarded in 1906 had a $40,000 cash prize attached. Although that may not be a whole lot of money today, it had the buying power of slightly more than $1 million in 2013. His award did nit go in his pocket, however, and was used to further peace efforts more than a decade later.

    FDR was paid $70,000 per year in 1933 as President which has the buying power today of $1,125,000 today (compared to the recently doubled Presidential salary today of $400,000 per year. [In his 13 years as President, FDR earned, in 2013 dollars--about $16 million. You could almost live off of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't compare them in terms of how rich each family was, I meant to differentiate between the several Roosevelt family branches by giving TR as an example since he is so widely known.

    ReplyDelete