Monday, June 17, 2013

New York Bound


An hour ago, it finally hit me. I was finally able to comprehend that I will be spending the next month in a city often considered the greatest city in World—New York City. During the dull and difficult moments of the school year, I was always able to look past my present hardships and look forward to the month I would spend in New York. I was so excited for the future trip, and now the future has arrived. Words cannot describe how I feel right now. I am beyond excited.

I spent much of the first week of summer mentally preparing for the trip to Columbia University. Unfortunately, full days of babysitting and late nights out with my friends left me little time for packing. Today, therefore, was a big packing day. After sorting through a lot of laundry and a few last minute stops to different stores, I was able to fill my suitcase and a backpack. I’ve checked off almost every item from several different packing lists, so hopefully I’m not forgetting anything major.

Thinking about the events leading up to the trip, I can’t help but to compare them to the events that I experienced last year before attending a program at Brown University. Many aspects are similar—the formal clothing, emphasis on punctuality, and the utmost level of dedication from all Ivy League Connection volunteers. What has changed is me. Last year, the idea of talking to admissions officers, giving a speech in front of important people, and going away for three weeks was absolutely terrifying. I was even nervous to send a professional email to an adult. This year, none of that scares me. Participating in the Ivy League Connection program last year enabled me to grow immensely as an individual. My confidence increased and my curiosity grew. This year, I will be in a much bigger city and participating in a much more challenging program. I will be pushed beyond my comfort zone, but I am ready for the challenge. I can’t wait to see how I change after the next four weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment