Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Love at First Information Session

It is unbelievable how many amazing things that Mrs. L had planned for today. Today has been chock full of touristy and educational events.
One of the several highlights of the day was visiting Times Square. I can now say that I walked up and down Times Square. Because we visited in the morning right after breakfast, the lights didn’t appear to be very bright so being there wasn’t as much of a shock as I thought it would be. I can’t wait until we go at night when all the signs are really bright and eye-popping/breathtaking. It will be like in the movies or on TV. When in Times Square we visited the Hershey’s store, the M&M’s store, and Toys R Us. Everything is so much bigger in New York City!

At the Hershey’s store a greeter handed me a strawberry smoothie flavored Jolly Rancher; it was different yet yummy. The store wasn’t as big or flashy as I was assuming. Although there was a giant Hershey’s Kiss that was filled with smaller kisses that looked really good. There was also a giant Hershey’s bar; I think it was two pounds. I almost regret not buying anything.
The M&M’s store was huge! There are three levels of shopping area. It was all a bit overwhelming. On the second floor there is a mood analyzer machine. To work the machine you stand on a metal pad and then it will eventually tell you the color of your M&M mood; mine is teal.

It's 11:11, make a wish!
Finally we went to Toys R Us; I am thoroughly impressed. There is a Ferris wheel inside, unfortunately we didn’t have time to ride it; we will have to go back. You are never too old for a Ferris wheel. This Toys R Us had a dinosaur section and a Candy Land.

We then took the Subway to Grand Central Station. It was so surreal to be in such an iconic place. Although neither the main hall nor the clock were as large as I expected, it was still very impressive. I greatly enjoyed the ceiling which had some amazing crown molding and a painting of a constellation. This year the station is celebrating its 100th anniversary.

From Grand Central Station were tool a train to Bronxville and then a five minute taxi ride to Sarah Lawrence College. Before this trip I had never really considered Sarah Lawrence as an option. My opinion of the college changed so quickly after entering the campus.  Not only is the campus absolutely beautiful and the student housing amazing, the curriculum of the college and the way it’s set up is beyond belief. You basically get to build your own education. The college does have some requirements but you don’t have to take core classes and only take about three courses plus seminars. Something that also caught my attention was that classes will only be a max of about 15 students and every student gets a ton of one-on-one time with the professors. I am in love with Sarah Lawrence! Mrs. L also thinks it's a good fit for me.


Sarah Lawrence Castle Housing

Later after returning to our hotel, we headed out to Del Frisco for dinner. I enjoyed the Shrimp Scampi Style. It was delicious. Unfortunately after appetizers I was relatively full and my entrée was very rich in flavor. I couldn't finish!

At the restaurant we met up with four alumni from Yale. The alums are Chad Berkowitz, Max Kushner-Lenhoff, My Luu, and Tracey Ober. These may possibly be some of the most interesting people I have ever met. According to Max Yale is full of “Happy intellectuals.” Before meeting with the alums I knew that Yale interested me and that I would apply in the fall. I know have so many reasons to apply and I haven’t even visited the campus or gone to an info session yet. It is astonishing how much an alum’s input can change your entire view of a school. I can’t wait  until we visit Yale on Saturday.

Tomorrow we will tour UPenn and have lunch with some admissions officers. Exiting stuff!

1 comment:

  1. I’m not sure what the big deal with Times Square is.

    I mean, I have a big bowl of M&M’’s sitting in front of me; I have a big bowl of Hershey’s chocolate thingies sitting in front of me and I have more toys sitting in front of me than you can shake a stick at (although mine are of the electronic variety). So why would I have to go 3,000 miles away to enjoy what I have in front of me?

    ReplyDelete