Monday, June 17, 2013

"West and Welaxation"- Elmer Fudd

Today is the day before my cohort and I leave for New York, Columbia University, and a month of rigorous academics and college visits. I feel that all of the tutorials, orientations, planning, and meetings have all prepared me for tomorrow's departure and the weeks ahead. I am teeming with excitement as I write this blog, and I cannot wait to wake up bright an early at 2:30 AM tomorrow and leave for New York!!!

The first step in the packing process.
Today was the big packing day. All my clothes, chargers, cords, cables, jackets, electronics, and shoes were laid out on our family room couch and slowly the checklist of things to bring was checked off. I am bringing a carry-on bag for my suit and other “fancy” clothes for the dinners and a debate at the end of the program, a large suitcase to check, that is filled with almost all of my everyday clothes and travel necessities, and a backpack with a computer, camera, and other activities for the long plane ride. I spent a lot of time with my silly little dog Dani, who I am going to miss while I am gone. Do not worry, I will also miss my parents and sister too! The rest of the day was spent relaxing, playing videogames, and watching television. I do not want to waste the valuable hours of relaxation time that I have before leaving! Ms. L told us all to rest before the trip, as we will hit the ground running when we arrive in New York.

I have done a significant amount of work in preparation for our departure tomorrow. I have been to a multitude of ILC meetings, all of which are chronicled with more details in earlier blogs on this page. I have also spent a lot of time talking with friends and family who have all been to New York. They all give me valuable insight into the places to see and visitnot to see. A place I now want to see more than ever is the Guggenheim and the James Turrell exhibit that is currently being featured. After reading a New York Times magazine article, and listening to my Grandma talk about the work of James Turrell, this is an art exhibit I feel I cannot miss!

Last summer I attended a summer program at Beloit College in Wisconsin, so I know I am capable of “surviving” on a college campus. Though the town that surrounded Beloit, with a population of a few thousand, is quite different than New York City, at least I am not feeling very nervous about leaving and living on my own for a month. In fact, I am extremely excited to be out on my own because I know it will help improve my work ethic, organizational skills, sense of independence, and internal scheduling clock. I am also excited to return home from the ILC, with my Columbia experience under my belt, and ready to take on senior year, knowing that I have the capabilities to do it thanks to the ILC. 
I think my dog Dani will miss me the most...

No comments:

Post a Comment