Thursday, July 11, 2013

Almost Done with Columbia!

Everyday I say something like this but this honestly what I feel like every night. How are the days going by so fast? I feel like just yesterday I was just the scared shy girl who came to John Jay, the dorm I live in. I know I have changed so much. This program has made me so much more social and made able to have conversations with people I have never met before. Today alone, I struck up a conversation with three random people in the elevator and about three other people around campus. I would never have done that if I was still at home. I have honestly found some confidence that was hidden deep inside of me. 

In class today, we discussed an article about empathy and presidents; we discussed how empathy affects a president's ability to lead the country. It was very interesting but slightly bias against Bill Clinton and George Bush.  After our discussion we had a round of Jeopardy. I really did not think that it was going to be that interesting but I had so much fun playing! We did Jeopardy based on everything Dr. Porwancher taught us for the past three weeks, from articles to lectures. We split into four teams of three or four people and we all fought to win.  The TA was the one who chose the person to answer and it was intense because everyone raised their hands at almost the same time.  The TA had to keep a very close eye on everyone. My team was in second place until the final jeopardy round where we write down our answers with wagers.  My team's motto was "Go big or go home," so we wagered it all, and we might have went home but it is okay! We attempted and had fun which is what matters!

After the first part of class it was time to put the pedal to the metal and finish my research paper. It is due tomorrow and I was about 75% of the way done with it, but I still needed to finish the rest. This is why today I spent about four hours in the library researching, writing, and editing my paper. I got to 4100 words and I was so proud of myself! This is the first time I have written a paper of this length for a history course. I am amazed that I was able to finish it and I think it turned out better than what I expected it to be. We met up Mrs. L at the usual place and she gave us the best chocolate chip cookies I had ever tasted. I was so hungry so it was perfect timing as well! I think Mrs. L has honestly made the trip better because she is such a nice chaperone!

The last Thursday at Columbia was spent on campus, taking a walk around the buildings with some of my dorm mates. We started talking about how we were leaving soon, some people are even leaving on Friday! There were a few tears shed, but I know more tears will fall tomorrow after class. The last dance is tomorrow and my hall mates are going so after that, I am pretty sure we will all cry during our good byes.  My hall plans on having an all nighter but who knows how that will work because I am pretty sure I will be really tired and will crash at like 3 AM. I don't want Saturday to come but at the same time I do. I am so conflicted because I don't want to leave these people and this atmosphere but I miss my home and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment