Sunday, July 7, 2013

Floppenheim


We only have one week of class before we leave New York and fly back to San Francisco. At first thought, a week seems like hardly any time at all. After a little more thought, I realize that a week is more than an a fourth of the trip. A week is a full 168 hours. It’s 10080 minutes and it’s 604800 seconds. If I use my time effectively, my last week in New York will be filled with fun.


Earlier today, I looked back on my Top Ten blog that I wrote earlier this year. I’ve accomplished almost everything on the list and I’ve done so much not on it. Although the happenings in New York are infinite, I feel as though I am starting to approach the limit on the graph. I may not be close to it, but I can now wrap my mind around the workings of the city. I feel more confortable here, and I’ve even developed a vague sense of direction. Actually that’s a lie; I have no sense of direction. I’ve learned to follow people with good senses of direction, aka smart phones.

Today was the first day of the entire trip where I woke up without a plan. It was actually a pretty great feeling knowing that I had nowhere to be and no one to see. Within 10 minutes of waking up, however, I made plans. Simon, Margaret, and I headed out to an excellent crepe restaurant that is located literally the building next to my dorm. Unfortunately, I have to walk a lot farther than expected to get there. I wish I had discovered this place earlier because I wanted to order everything on the menu. My mushroom and goat cheese frittata was superb and I’m sure that the hundred other items on the menu were of the same caliber.

After breakfast, Simon and I parted ways with Margaret. Being the studious, responsible person she is, Margaret decided to work on her paper for the remainder of the day. She is an inspiration to us all.

Simon and I, along with our friend Danielle decided to go to the Guggenheim. Having heard from multiple people how amazing the museum was, I had extremely high expectations. I paid the 18-dollar admission fee and walked inside. The exhibit on light that was supposed to be incredible did not impress me. With a projector at the right angle in my home and some fancy light bulbs, I probably would have been able to recreate the whole thing. To make matters worse, the amazing architecture of the building was not visible because the light exhibit covered all the viewpoints. Instead of looking out on the spiral interior, I looked at a white sheet. The crowds of people inside the museum created lines to see even the most pitiful exhibits. The artwork as pretty cool, but I could hardly look at one piece for a second without someone disrupting my view.

To make up for our flop of a time at the Guggenheim, we took a beautiful stroll through Central Park. If I had more time in New York, I would definitely spend much of it in the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment