Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fun Fourth!


My relationship with the sun is a rather unpleasant one. Although I love waking up to bright skies in the morning, I know that once I walk outside I will have to coat myself in sunscreen and shade my face in order to prevent an awful sunburn. A few times a year, I seem to forget my abusive relationship with the sun and I decide to go to the beach. Today was one of those days.

I woke up bright and early this morning and groggily made my way down to the gazebo for a beach trip. Once there, Margaret and Claire met me and handed me an all American breakfast. It consisted of two powdered doughnuts, a cupcake, and an apple. Despite my patriotic spirit, I wasn’t really feeling the doughnuts and cupcake, so I just ate the apple. To continue the all American trend, I threw away the remainder of my breakfast, being both wasteful and ungrateful at the same time. I knew that I was starting the 4th off right!





After a relatively quick train ride, we arrived at the beach. It was absolutely packed. I have never been on a beach so crowded and it just continued to fill up throughout the day. Luckily, we were able to find a solid patch of sand to set up camp for the day. I immediately lathered sunscreen across my entire body. I then lied down and soaked up the heat before entering the ocean. The water was surprisingly warm, and both Margaret and spent a long time floating amongst the waves.

Since I only ate an apple for breakfast, I was absolutely famished so we headed out for lunch. A couple of blocks away from the beach, we found this great health food store with delicious smoothies, wraps, and smoothies. It was the perfect lunch. The health food store also had a ton of interesting products including a surprisingly cheap bag of meat substitute. I was almost tempted to buy it, just for the deal.

After lunch we headed back to the beach. We spent the remainder of our time sunbathing. I frequently reapplied sunscreen. After a while, a group behind us camp. I looked up and noticed a familiar face. It was the admissions officer that we had ate lunch with at Penn! After a few minutes of close observation to make sure that it was actually him, Margaret and I asked a member of his party if he was an admissions officer at Penn. He was, and we quickly reintroduced ourselves to him! It was such a crazy coincidence.

We left the beach around 4:00 PM. Immediately after we exited, I realized that I was sunburnt on the back of my legs and back. I was so frustrated. I had constantly applied and reapplied sunscreen, yet it seemed to be of little help. I still was sunburnt. Buy hey, that’s what summer is for, right?

When I arrived back in my suite, I along with the rest of my suitemates dressed up very patriotically and headed out to watch the fireworks. We went to Riverside Park, where we were not only treated to fireworks, but also to an amazing view of the Hudson River and New Jersey on the opposite bank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment